Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Craving More...

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read this post if you do not want to know intimate details about The Brothers Karamazov. Not that I am going to disclose too much info, but there will be some facts only known if you have gotten to the end of the book.

Obviously, I have finished The Brothers Karamazov. I have to make a few honest statements right away: 1. I feel cheated at the end, 2. I pat myself on the back for some of my instincts, and 3. I am going on a quest to read every Dostoyevsky novel now. I have read only two other Russian authors, Turgenev and Chekhov. I loved both of these pieces, fyi. In fact, Fathers and Sons has become one of my favorite novels of all time. I highly recommend it.

I knew Katerina Ivanovna was going to be important! I also had a feeling about the old Captain Snegiryov. Although, I was overall satisfied with Dostoyevsky's novel, I am guilty to admit that the ending was curt. Yes, most of us book lovers get that hangover after a book that keeps us from grasping that there is nothing more to read. But, considering how long it took to build up to the climax and get through the climax, the ending was unfulfilling. Once again, I mean no disrespect to Dostoyevsky, I mean to compliment him by saying "I want more!".

The process of the trial was splendid; I couldn't help feeling ignorant that such a democratic process could happen in 19th century Russia (under tsarism). It also helped me to believe in the importance of rhetorics. Never underestimate the power of ethos, pathos, and logos my friends!

If it is not obvious, I am trying very hard not to write anything too conclusive towards the outcome of the novel. This blog is NOT meant to be a spoiler, assist with term papers, or aide a lazy person to feel like they have an upper hand. I want to find others who have read some of these books, or in the process of reading them, (maybe even persuade the book to be read). There is something refreshing about finding others who have shared the same experience as you through literature.

Something I plan on doing with every single book I read is listing the "dog-ears". These are pages I have marked (dog-earred) for myself to return to- some are inquiries into other literature, some are fantastic quotes, and some are important events. There are other reasons as well that I mark a page. I want to share those pages with you- not the significance of them, for that is an individual thing, but just to give followers an idea as to what I find important/interesting.

Here are the Dog-Ears for The Brothers Karamazov:

vi
48
124
148
160
223
263
278
283
285
293
363
383
385
434
461
470
512
517
548
671
698
710
717
722
743
777
780
788
845

If I had anything to say to those who have not read The Brothers Karamazov yet, it would be to NOT read the Introduction beforehand. I usually do not suggest this, in fact I usually recommend reading any preludes, introductions, note from authors, or epilogues. However, in this praticular edition (introduction by Marc Slonim, Modern Library College Edition 1950), reading Slonim's thoughts are the biggest spoiler you can have in this book. Can't say it will be the same for all editions...

Because my daughters did an amazing job cleaning, I gave them the priviledge of choosing the next book for me to read. Yes, my children get awarded with this kind of weird stuff, they thoroughly enjoy it as weird as it is. The book they chose was The Heat is On by Ross Gelbspan. I have previously been introduced to Gelspan's work at a course at UNC. I am looking forward to this book, which will be about global warming in the modern times.

Have a wonderful night everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment