Monday, April 8, 2013

A Love Story

If I knew how to put a song on here without it automatically playing, I would chose "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. Mainly because it is the first song to pop in my head now that I am 280 pages into The Brothers Karamazov. I didn't anticipate it to be such a love story, but I guess that is one characteristic of what many consider a great novel. Not that I am disagreeing with that!

Alyosha has become my favorite character by far, as I suppose he is for many which would be why he is the main protagonist. Dmitri disguts me, I am sure I am not the only one. There were two great sections that I have just read that I wanted to share with everyone.

When Alyosha goes to meet with the Captain Nikolay Ilyitch Snergiryov, I could not put the book down or ever turn away to listen to anything else. I could picture the entire scene! The old Captain's character was genuinely unfolded and made complete sense to me so that I come to respect the author evenmoreso. I do not yet if this character is going to be of much importance throughout the rest of the novel, but Dostoyevsky made him very much real for me.

Further along, the part I just finished where Alyosha and Ivan meet in the restaurant captivated me, too. I want to write some of the beautiful wording right now:

Ivan: "There was an old sinner in the eighteenth century who declared that, if there were no God, he would have to be invented...and man has actually invented God... if God exists and if He really did create the world, then as we all know, He created it according to the geometry of Euclid and the human mind with the conception of only three dimensions in space... there have been and still are geometricians and philosophers... who dare to dream that two parallel lines, which according to Euclid can never meet on earth, may meet somewhere in infinity. I have come to the conclusion that, since I can't understand even that, I can't expect to understand about God." (279).

This statement made by him could very well be something I would articulate if I had the ability to put my thoughts into words so smoothly.

Oh, and here are the first pictures for the blog! They are of some of the treasures I bought from the thrift store on my last day. Hopefully they actually work. If not, my sister will know what to do! lol
A neat decanter that kind of looks like an hour-glass.

This plate set is pink, gold, white and vintage!

Chokin is an ancient Japanese method of engraving that uses silver and gold. It was created to decorate Samurai warriors.

He is made out of newspaper!!

This is a handpainted vase made from Aspen wood

1 comment:

  1. Yay pictures!!! They work and they look good Peeps! I love that little man!

    ReplyDelete